First Annual Mississippi College Department of Art
Competitive Student Art Showcase
February 27, – March 30, 2012
All undergraduate and graduate art students enrolled in classes in the MC Department of Art during 2011 and 2012 are encouraged to participate.
Best-in-Show and 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, and Honorable Mentions in each category according to the discretion of the judge.
Rules of Entry:
1. Entry fees are $5.00 for the first 3 pieces and $1.00 per each additional piece.
2. Each artist may enter work in the following categories:
Oil • Watercolor • Printmaking • Three-Dimensional • Photography • Acrylic • Drawing • Fiber • Mixed Media • Graphic Design • Digital Imagery • Pottery • Interior Design
3. The entries will be reviewed by a committee of faculty and narrowed to the top 100 works. An outside juror will then select forty pieces to be shown in the gallery and from these the juror will award the ribbons.
4. Flat work must not exceed 48 inches by 48 inches, including the frame, and 75 pounds. All selected 2-d work must be framed, with no exposed glass or raw edges, and ready for hanging (with picture wire – no saw tooth hangers.) An entry label should be attached to the back of each piece in the lower right corner.
5. Three-dimensional work must not exceed 48 inches by 48 inches and 100 pounds. All 3-d work must be prepared and ready for display. An entry label should be attached to each piece in an appropriate spot.
6. All work must be original to the entering artist, not more than 2 years old, and not have been shown in a previous Mississippi College competitive show. Copies of other works will not be accepted, nor will anything made from commercial kits, molds, or designs.
7. All work must be hand delivered to the Gore Gallery, according to the schedule. No work accepted for the show will be released prior to the official closing of the show.
8. All precautions will be exercised in the handling of art submitted to the show. However, the school nor the gallery assumes responsibility for any work beyond that of normal good care and will not be responsible for work that is not picked up during scheduled times.
9. The school and the gallery reserves the right to photograph work for publicity purposes, to refuse any entry and to reassign categories.
February 13, 2012 ……Entries and fees due to Gallery
February 15, 2012 …Review committee selects first 100 pieces
February 17, 2012 ……Students’ notification of juror’s selection of top 40 pieces
February 22, 2010 …Selected top 40 works must be framed and ready for hanging in Gallery
February 20 -21, 2012….Non-selected work to be picked up 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M.*
February 24, 2012…. Show hung and juror does final judging
February 27 – March 30, 2012……Show opens to public in the Spaugh Gallery
March 1, 2012……Artist Reception and Awards: 6:00 – 8:00 P.M.
March 30, 2012……3:00 P.M. show closes
(all work must remain in show until 3 P.M., March 30, 2012)
April 2 -3…Pick-up of work 9:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M.*
*Work left beyond this date will not be the responsibility of the school or the gallery