Guys, your college experience is about to start getting underway. You’re probably this crazy emotional bundle of being super excited and nervous right now, but don’t worry about that–it’s normal. In three weeks, WELCOME WEEK will be here to ease your nerves.
Welcome Week is planned by The CREW, 20 ecstatic upperclassmen who have been planning these events specifically for you guys. Events start on Move-In Day and last throughout that following week! You’ll be able to meet other new students, the University President and faculty, the clubs and tribes, the Student Government Association, churches in the area, and campus ministries. This is such a great way to get involved and to meet your fellow classmates as soon as you get on campus.
Here’s what the week will look like:
- Saturday, August 24th – Kick Off Concert on the Quad with Ben Rector! This is for all MC students. Begins at 8:30 p.m.
- Sunday, August 25th – Black & White Event with the President. This is where you can wear your favorite black or white clothing and mingle with other students and our President, Dr. Lee Royce. Held in our beautiful art gallery, the Gore Gallery (back of library). It starts at 8 p.m.
Our President is a pretty cool guy.
- Monday, August 26th – Road Trip Excursion. You can sign up during lunch to visit some of the interesting locations around the Jackson area.
- Monday, August 26th – Midnight Movie! At 11:30 p.m. there will be a movie night on the Quad! Bring your blankets to sit on!
- Tuesday, August 27th – Service Day. During the afternoon different service opportunities will be available to participate in.
- Tuesday, August 27th – Night at the Rez! This is located on the beautiful reservoir and a boat ride will be held! The tribes & clubs will be present so you can mingle with them! Penn’s catfish will be catering.
- Wednesday, August 28th – Meet the Churches & Campus Wide Worship Night. Freshmen and transfers can meet churches that are in the area in Anderson Hall at 6 p.m. then a campus wide worship will follow at 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 28th – Thrift Shop Bowling Night. Everyone wear your favorite finds from thrift shops to this event! At Indian lanes at 9 p.m.
- Thursday, August 29th – The Event at Duling Hall in Fondren. Located in one of the coolest areas in Jackson, that night there will be a DJ and photobooth at this event.
Intramural sports will be going on as well during the week, which includes volleyball, dodgeball, wiffleball, kickball, and ultimate frisbee!
In order to attend these events, you’ll need to purchase a Welcome Week packet. The price is $50 but it will allow you to attend any of these events during Welcome Week! If you’re on the fence about whether or not to join in, I’m encouraging you to do it. You may think you can meet people other ways so you aren’t very interested in coming, but this is a really great opportunity to have some fun and go ahead and dip your feet in the water. All of the other freshmen and new students are in the same, nervous boat as you, so branch out and meet some of your new classmates! It will be a week you won’t forget.
You can purchase your Welcome Week packet here (which also comes with a WW t-shirt) and read about Molly’s Welcome Week experience from last year, too! You are about to be HERE and we are so excited to start this year off.