You’ve been in school for a few weeks now and you’re getting into the swing of your senior year. Time flies am I right? One thing that comes along in your senior year is College Fairs. College fairs are done a number of different ways, but in a standard college fair college representatives from all over are lined up in the gym or on the lawn.
What are you supposed to do? Are you just supposed to walk along the tables and stock up on free pens? Well, you could take these tips and have the best college fair experience ever.
1. Go in it with an open mind.
Maybe you’ve had your heart set on one particular school since you were a little kid. Maybe you are only planning on going to the tables of schools you’ve heard of before. We want to encourage you to be open. Maybe the school you have your heart set on does not have the program/field of study that you want. Give every school a chance.
2. Talk to the college reps.
You could walk around and goof off with your friends OR you could actually benefit from your time spent out of class. The college reps/admissions counselors are FULL of useful information, and they are just cool people in general. Walk up to the table and introduce yourself. Engage in conversation with the admissions counselor. This is why they are there. To talk to you! Don’t be afraid.
3. Ask good questions.
Now that we’ve covered that it’s important and safe for you to talk to the college reps, go ahead and have some questions prepared.
- If you know what you want to be when you grow up, ask what your options are at that school. Do they have a strong __________ program/department?
- What is the biggest academic department? Knowing this will help you determine what the college’s strongest areas are.
- What is student life like on campus? Are students involved? Are there activities for me to be a part of?
- What are the test score requirements for admission? It is important to know if your ACT or SAT scores are high enough for admission.
- What is the retention rate? This question will make you sound like you know what you’re talking about. A school’s retention rate is the percentage of students who come back for the next year. A high retention rate means that the students like it enough to come back!
Don’t forget to check out the materials all the different colleges have to offer.
These 3 tips will help you navigate your college fair!